Another day another millinery adventure.
Today we worked with sinamay. I got to class 3o minutes late, so had to spend time catching up. Not good Dibs, not Good. I did not do so well today. We had to cut out sinamay shapes and dye them. Since I was late, I missed part of the instructions, and paid for that later. We were told to cut the shapes on the bias, which I did, but was not aware we had to stretch the bias strips before cutting out the shapes. When we finished rolling the sinamay shapes, mine had become so thin. The teacher said it was okay, but that I could cut bigger ones if I want, and that it all depends on what I want to make. I cut out bigger shapes afterwards, this time, stretching to sinamay to within an inch of its life. I will work on that one tomorrow.
Hand rolled with and without wires so that we could learn the various ways of rolling sinamay. Now this was something new. When I made the yellow headpiece with the Legend, she told me to soak the sinamay in water, and then dab it with a dry cloth before rolling the edges. My teacher today told us to apply some straw stiffener to the edges, put it in a plastic bag, and roll it when dry. She showed us two methods of rolling the edges. One with wires within the rolls, and one without wires. She will show us another method tomorrow, involving a pleat. hmm. So much to learn.
Trying to find a good way to place the leaves…no, not this one….
Nor this one.
wish my neck was this graceful
a closer look
Tomorrow we move on to straw.